The goal of demonstration gardens is to improve food security at the household level while helping vulnerable groups in rural communities to generate income and enhance the nutritional status of children and pregnant women.
LifeCare Malawi trains vulnerable small-scale and subsistence farmers to grow fruits and vegetables for food and income generation. LCMF conducts hands on-training in food farming and provides farm inputs such as fertilizers, water canes, hoes, water pipes, and other farming equipment. Further LCMF assists farmers package the farm products and to identify established markets at schools and supermarkets for sell of excess produce.
LCMF has 6 demonstration gardens at TA Ntchema in Chiradzulu District and at TA Nkando in Mulanje District. So far, we have reached 480 farmers (331 female and 149 male). Our target is to reach 1,000 farmers in each of the 6 targeted districts. LCMF intends increase the distribution of farm inputs including seeds, fertilizers, and pesticides. LCMF is also promoting kitchen gardens.
KEY ACHIEVEMENTS ON FOOD SECURITY AND NUTRITION PROGRAM
- 60 KITCHEN GARDENS
- The same participants have been trained on production of nutritional products from their own farm produce such us: – Jam, Juice, Source e.t.c
- We have trained 50 people in Phalula Balaka District of which 30 participants are female and 20 are male
- We have more activities on community empowerment program where we have trained many people on skills that empowers them to generate incomes at the household level.
- We have trained 150 young people on food security and nutrition activities for both individual consumption and income generating activity.
- We have 6 demonstration gardens in the villages that we use to train the surrounding communities.